People have been using marijuana before the pyramids existed yet it wasn’t until the 21st century that the modern world considered legalising it. Despite the fact that there are numerous medical applications for marijuana, the drug has remained prohibited, the main argument is that it is highly addictive and harmful. Oddly, far more addictive drugs are used legally with little objection from those opposed to legalising cannabis. But the simple truth is marijuana plays a vital role in managing certain illnesses and is safer and more stable than most other pain medication.
That’s not to say that pot can’t be harmful when taken in large doses. When abused, pot can be addictive and end up messing up your brain and body.
Marijuana’s Medicinal Values
The marijuana plant has more than 100 cannabinoids in it. Cannabinoids are related to THC a mind-altering ingredient which is responsible for the high feeling people get when they take marijuana.
So far, only 6% of studies on marijuana have analysed its medicinal value; a majority of them have concentrated on its harmful effects. Legalising cannabis can help researchers discover more medicinal uses for the drug, and increase their understanding of how it affects the human body.
10 Benefits of Medical Marijuana
- Marijuana has been proven to be very effective in relieving nausea and vomiting symptoms, which makes it useful to HIV and chemotherapy patients.
- Research also shows that it reduces the need for medication and surgery for people with Crohn’s disease.
- Research results published in the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that marijuana doesn’t affect lung function negatively. In fact, it can even increase your lung capacity. Tests conducted on over 5000 subjects over 20 years showed that pot users enjoyed increased lung capacity compared to tobacco smokers, whose breathing became impaired over the same period.
- Studies have also shown that marijuana helps in the prevention and treatment of glaucoma which causes loss of vision. According to the National Eye Institute, Marijuana helps by decreasing pressure in the eye.
- Patients who suffer from seizures have found that Marijuana helps reduce the frequency and intensity of seizures. Dravet Syndrome, a condition which causes seizures and serious delays in mental development have been successfully treated using the drug.
- CBD which is found in marijuana can help prevent cancer from spreading by turning off a gene called Id-1 according to research by California Pacific Medical Center in San Fransisco.
- A study by Kim Jada of the Scripps Research Institute shows that THC, a compound found in Marijuana may be able to reduce the progression of Alzheimer’s. it does this by preventing the formation of plaques which kill brain cells.
- Cannabis is also known to be effective in reducing nerve pain by binding to receptors in the nerves and muscles. This attribute has been found useful when treating symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It also helps treat muscle spasms.
- Hepatitis C patients undergoing treatment suffer from side-effects such as muscle aches, fatigue, nausea, and depression. Marijuana has helped patients complete treatment for hepatitis C by alleviating the side effects according to a study published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- Marijuana also helps increase the patient’s metabolic rate which in turn helps control weight gain.
How to get and apply for Medical Marijuana
Thanks to the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) program, you can now legally access medical marijuana through a recognised physician – i.e. one who has a valid license from the licensing authority in the province/territory they work in. A nurse practitioner can also write you a prescription.
When applying you will go through the following steps:
- Schedule a consultation with a health care practitioner.
- Get a medical document from your health care practitioner showing your particulars and daily dosage you’re authorized to receive.
- Register and order with a licensed producer of your choice.
- Delivery of your medical cannabis.
Marijuana has many positive uses that outweigh its disadvantages. When taken for the right reasons it can help in treating many debilitating conditions, hence the need to increase research on its medical attributes. This can only be achieved once this drug is legalized.
At Canada Weed Dispensary we’re committed to providing high quality medical marijuana at an affordable price, delivered conveniently and discretely.
Enjoy Free Shipping on all orders over $99. Lowest free shipping in Canada.